Proper dental care helps prevent dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, gingivitis, and tooth decay. Some of the symptoms of dental problems are severe toothache, bad breath, bleeding gums and facial swelling. Visit a dentist immediately if you are experiencing any of these symptoms. Northland Village Dental Centre has been providing dental services in Calgary since 2003. We offer cosmetic dentistry, esthetic makeover dentistry, zoom whitening and home tray bleaching.
Here are four reasons why dental hygiene is important for your health:
1. Helps Maintain Healthy Teeth
Regular brushing and flossing helps keep your teeth and gums healthy. It removes plaque build-up, thereby preventing tooth decay and gum disease.
2. Helps Prevent Cavities
Cavities, also known as tooth decay or caries, are fairly common. Cavities occur when bacteria or food stick to your teeth, leading to the formation of plaque. Good oral care is essential to prevent this.
3. Helps Avoid Gum Disease (Gingivitis)
Gum disease is usually caused by plaque build-up on your teeth due to poor dental hygiene. Gingivitis is a condition in which your gums swell and bleed while brushing or flossing. Untreated gingivitis can lead to periodontitis.
4. Helps Prevent Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease can either be mild or severe. Gingivitis is reversible and is the mildest form of periodontal disease. Periodontitis can cause irreversible damage to the soft tissue and bone structure of your teeth.
Tips to Ensure Good Dental Health
Here are some dental hygiene tips that can help you take good care of your teeth:
• Brush your teeth twice a day thoroughly for two minutes. Look for a brush that reaches the crevices of your molars
• Floss properly to get rid of the debris stuck between your teeth. Use a floss thread of about 18 inches and change the thread for each tooth
• Use a mouthwash to remove food particles left after brushing and flossing
• Bacteria might remain on your tongue even after brushing. Clean your tongue with a tongue scraper
• Avoid fizzy drinks and foods with added sugars. Sugary foods dissolve the minerals in your tooth enamel, causing decay and cavities. Acidic foods and drinks might also lead to tooth erosion, causing tooth sensitivity and discolouration. Avoid such foods to prevent damage to your teeth
• Replace your toothbrush at least every three months
• Schedule regular dental examinations and cleanings
• Avoid cigarettes and other products containing tobacco
• Get a dental sealant for your children’s teeth. It is one of the most effective ways to prevent decay
Northland Village Dental Centre offers emergency dental care, cosmetic dentistry and dental implant services in Calgary. Call us today for preventative dentistry services in Calgary.