10/01/2020 0 Comments
Five Reasons Why You Should Consider Teeth Whitening
If you are concerned about your stained or discoloured teeth, a smile makeover treatment can help you in several ways. Our dentists at Northland Village Dental Centre can provide your teeth a uniform look along with working on the natural translucency and colour. The teeth whitening process is a part of it and can help you achieve a whiter smile.
Types of Teeth Whitening Treatments
Your teeth enamel changes colour or can become stained due to many reasons such as:
• Your genes (if someone in your family had stained teeth)
• Old age
• Teeth injury
• Certain medicines
• Tobacco consumption
• Stain causing food and drinks such as berries, coffee, cola, tea and red wine
• Excessive use of fluoriodated toothpaste while the teeth were developing
There are three ways to whiten your teeth:
• Whitening Toothpaste – These are very gentle and reduce only the stains on the surface of your teeth. They may not be very effective if the deeper layers of your teeth are stained.
• Home-Use Whiteners – You can ask your dentist to recommend whitening trays, strips, rinses or brushes which can be easily used at home. Follow your dentist's advice on how long to wear it. Peroxide in the whiteners can irritate your teeth and gums when used for a longer duration.
• In-Office Whitening – You can schedule a teeth-whitening session with your dentist. It can be achieved in a single session lasts longer and is very safe.
There are hardly any side-effects to the treatment. Make sure you follow the guidelines given by your dentist regularly. Some may experience a little irritation after the procedure. If you observe any other problems, contact your dentist immediately.
Five Benefits of Teeth Whitening Treatment
Teeth whitening process will enhance your smile and lessen your anxiety, if any, related to your stained teeth. Here are five reasons how teeth whitening may benefit you:
- Gain Confidence - Your dull or yellow teeth may be completely healthy but do not look great. A brighter smile shall create a perception of good health and will help you stand out in a crowd. It may make your peers or colleagues gravitate towards you in social situations. This may also boost your self-confidence.
- Take Better Care of Your Teeth – It is observed that people take more care of their teeth after whitening treatments. Though whitening treatments don’t fix your dental problems, your dental health may improve as you brush or floss more often.
- Quick and Easy – Teeth whitening sessions usually last less than an hour. They will provide you with instant results that may last for a month. The quality of the results will be far better than other options. If your aim is to achieve a white smile before attending a wedding or an office party, this treatment is best suited for the purpose.
- Safe - Compared to DIY solutions, your dentist will treat you safely, taking your overall health into consideration. Some home kits contain harsh chemicals, which can be dangerous when overused or swallowed. Teeth whitening comprises of bleaching sessions, which are extremely safe as it interferes the least with your natural body structure.
- Relatively Inexpensive – The cost may vary depending on the type of treatment process administered and the type of existing stains. The average costs tend to be somewhere around $600.
If you already have tooth decay or gum disease, consult your dentist before opting for any whitening product or treatment. For more information on oral health, read our blog – ‘A Healthy Mouth Is a Happy Mouth.’